Activision Blizzard, the video game maker, said on Tuesday that the president of its studio Blizzard Entertainment was resigning, a week after workers staged a walkout over allegations of harassment and discrimination.
Activision, known for Call of Duty and other popular game franchises, has come under intense pressure over the past two weeks following a July 20 lawsuit in which California accused the company of promoting a “frat boy work culture” in which the men joked. rape and women were regularly harassed and paid less than their male colleagues.
Outgoing executive J. Allen Brack will be replaced by two Blizzard executives Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra, who will be co-executives of the studio, the company said in a statement.
“Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; work ahead to make Blizzard the safest and most welcoming place to work for women and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or origin; defend and strengthen our values; and rebuild your confidence, ”Activision Blizzard said in a statement.
Ms. Oneal started at Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, while Mr. Ybarra joined in 2019 as executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, Activision said. Blizzard.
The video game industry has long been criticized for its toxic work environment towards women. In 2014, feminist critics in the industry were threatened with death in what became known as Gamergate. Executives of game companies Riot Games and Ubisoft have also been charged with misconduct.
Activision apologized last week for its reaction to the outcry from its employees, calling its initial response “deaf in tone”.
“It is imperative that we recognize all perspectives and experiences, and respect the feelings of those who have been abused in any way,” Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotik said in a July 27 statement. . “I’m sorry we did. Not providing the right empathy and understanding.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.